A student who graduates from Thiel College with a music minor will:
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of the elements of music.
- analyze harmonic progressions in simple four- part harmony.
- accompany songs with simple chord progressions on the piano.
- compose a four-part church hymn.
- conduct singers or instrumentalists in a rehearsal setting.
- describe the historical development of music— medieval to present.
- demonstrate proficiency in individual skills needed for musical performance through participation in a musical ensemble.
Minor Requirements (23 CH)
The requirements for the minor in music include successful completion of the following courses for a total of 23 credit hours:
- MUS 115 Intro. to Music: Music Theory I (3 CH)
- MUS 154 Music Theory II (3 CH)
- MUS 100 Music Appreciation (3 CH) or MUS 250/ SEMS 250 World Music (3 CH)
- MUS 354 History of Sacred Music (3 CH)
- MUS 364 Choral Conducting (2 CH)
- Applied Music—private lessons instrumental or voice lessons (4 CH)
- Ensemble—choir, band, orchestra and handbells (5 CH)