🔍 menu
Thiel College
in this section

F-1 Student Employment

On-campus Employment

As an F-1 student, you are authorized to work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week maximum. You may work more than 20 hours on-campus only during university breaks or during summer break. You do not need special authorization to work on campus. However, automatic authorization to work on-campus ends upon graduation date and any work done after graduation requires special authorization through our office.

Please Note:

  • If you do not already have a U.S. social security number, you must apply for one. Please make an appointment to visit the social security office in Hermitage, Pa., by making an appointment with the ISA Office.
  • You must fill out U.S. tax paperwork and other important documents with the Thiel Payroll Office (once you receive your social security card).
  • If you work on campus, you are required to submit U.S. tax forms for the previous year worked. The ISA Office provides mandatory tax workshops every April; be sure to sign up for this tax workshop.
Off-campus Employment

Your F-1 status does not allow you to be employed off-campus without special authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Unauthorized off-campus employment is a serious violation of your F-1 status.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is only used for internships, practicums or field studies that are an integral part of the established Thiel curriculum.

If you enroll in an internship course through your department, you must apply for CPT and complete the necessary paperwork with the ISA Office. You must also fill out the necessary paperwork with the {cdc} and have your academic adviser’s approval. CPT is not intended for ongoing employment or to bridge a gap between graduation and OPT.

CPT Forms

Optical Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) grants an F-1 student 12 months of employment authorization during or after the course of study.

OPT employment must be in the student’s field of study and can begin only after the Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) has been received from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Most F-1 students use OPT after they graduate. Please see the Applying for F-1 Optional Practical Training (OPT) Form for more detailed information and to understand the process for OPT application.