The objective of the accounting program is to develop a solid foundation for public accounting, governmental accounting and corporate accounting. Public accounting is a field for independent accountants who review and report on the propriety of management’s measurements and communications of financial information; the corporate accountant accumulates, interprets and reports to management the financial results of the organization’s activities. With this preparation, one may structure a studies program toward either immediate employment or graduate school.
A student who graduates from Thiel College with a major in accounting will:
- learn generally accepted accounting principles and be able to prepare accurate and informative financial statements.
- understand the importance and function of independent audits and and possess a working knowledge of generally accepted auditing standards.
- possess a basic understanding of the Internal Revenue Code and the impact of taxes on business decisions.
- develop competency in data analysis techniques, including spreadsheets and databases.
- gain an understanding of the ethical dilemmas faced by accountants and auditors.
- develop interpersonal skills and learn to be a valuable member of a team.
- be prepared for entry-level employment in the field of accounting.
- ACCT 113 Principles of Accounting I
- ACCT 123 Principles of Accounting II
- ACCT 213 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACCT 223 Intermediate Accounting II
- ECON 211 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECON 221 Principles of Microeconomics
- MATH 211 Elementary Statistics
- CIS 111 Word Processing Applications
- CIS 112 Spreadsheet Applications
- CIS 122 Advanced Spreadsheet Apps
- CIS 129 Fund of Info Systems
- BADM 355 Business Law I
- BADM 356 Business Law II
- ENG 260 Business and Technical Writing or BADM 384 Business Communication
- ACCT 313 Cost Accounting
- ACCT 323 Taxation-Personal
- ACCT 333 Taxation-Corporate
- ACCT 423 Auditing
- Upper Level (4 required)
- ACCT 253 Payroll Accounting
- ACCT 343 Governmental and Non-Profit Accounting
- ACCT 412 Accounting Information Systems
- ACCT 413 Advanced Accounting
- ACCT 433 Accounting Theory
- ACCT 493 CPA – Preparing for the Profession
- ACCT 455 Cooperative Education
Transfer students are required to complete at Thiel a minimum of four upper-level courses required for the major.