Access to most of our electronic resources is governed by a license agreement unique to Thiel College. When you use an electronic resource, you will be visiting a website outside the College, and usage may be monitored by the licenser. Generally, you are allowed to download or print a reasonable quantity of material for your personal, non-commercial, educational use. If you have questions about permissible uses of an electronic resource, please ask a library staff member. Most databases are available for off-campus use by students, faculty and staff. Please see a librarian for access instructions.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
ArchiveGrid | Primary Sources
- Nearly a million descriptions of archival collections owned by thousands of libraries, museums, historical societies and archives worldwide.
- Search historical documents, personal papers and family histories held in archives
CAMIO, Catalog of Art Museum Images Online | Primary Sources
- High-quality art images from around the world contributed and described by leading museums, all rights-cleared for educational use. Every work in CAMIO is represented by at least one high-resolution image and a description. Many have additional views of the work, sound, video and curatorial notes.
- Categories: photographs, prints, sculptures, paintings, decorative arts, posters, costumes, utilitarian objects, and jewelry.
CQ Historic Documents | (1972 - ) | Primary Sources
- Published annually, each volume includes approximately one hundred documents covering the most significant events of the year. Documents range from presidential speeches, international agreements, and Supreme Court decisions to U.S. governmental reports, scientific findings, and cultural discussions.
CQ Researcher | (1991 - )
- Access limited to 5 simultaneous users. Please logoout when finished.
- Published by CQ (Congressional Quarterly) Press, CQ examines contemporary issues that affect the public at large. Each issue focuses on a different topic with background, historical milestones, an overview of the current situation, future outlook and opposing viewpoints (plus bibliographies).
CQ Weekly | (1983 - 2009)
- CQ Weekly reports on the activities of the United States Congress. Each issue provides announcements of upcoming Congressional events as well as a summary of the previous week's news, including the status of bills, committee and floor activity, debates and roll-call votes. This online, full-text version of the printed CQ Weekly is searchable by keyword and by floor vote. Users can also browse issues by date or by topic.
EBSCOhost is a collection of databases (listed below), many including full text articles. This general link will work for the topics below, except those noted.
- Academic Search Premier | (1984 - ) | Indexes and abstracts journals in a large variety of topics; searchable collection of photos of people, natural science photos, photos of places, historical photos, maps and flags.
- Biography Reference Center | A comprehensive collection of Biographies on Notable Personalities, containing many of the top-ranked biographical reference collections and magazines, this database offers full-text biographies, as well as thousands of unique narrative biographies. This resource provides superior coverage for several of the most popular and heavily-researched biographies and genres, including those contained within Biography Today and Biography (both dating back to the first issue published).
- Business Source Elite | (1985 - ) | Covers journals in business, management, economics, finance, banking and accounting.
- Communication & Mass Media Complete (CCMU) | 1915 (selected) to present | Contains quality research articles in the areas related to communication studies and mass media, combining two major indexes, CommSearch and Mass Media Index. Provides access to bibliographic references, reviews, recent encyclopedias and handbooks and full text of journal articles. Depending on the journal, coverage may extend back to the first issue of a title.
- Education Source | (1983 - ) | Covers 400 leading periodicals encompassing all areas of concern to today's educators, including administration, teaching methods, and curriculum.
- ERIC (Educational Resource Information Center) | (1966 - ) | Indexes published and unpublished sources on all aspects of education and educational research. ERIC also indexes library and information science. Incorporates ERIC Digests, full-text short reports on topics of current interest in education.
- Environment Complete | 1940's (selected) to present | Offers deep coverage in the subject areas of agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, renewable energy sources, natural resources, marine & freshwater science, geography, pollution & waste management, environmental technology, environmental law, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more. Contains more than 1,957,000 records from more than 1,700 domestic and international titles going back to the 1940s (including 1,125 active core titles). The database also contains full text for more than 680 journals and 120 monographs.
- Literary Reference Center (different link) | Contains plot summaries, synopses, work overviews, articles/essays of literary criticism, in-depth author biographies, literary journals, book reviews, classic and contemporary poems and short stories, author interviews, and classic texts. In addition, Literary Reference Center includes Merriam Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of American Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of British Literature, Continuum Encyclopedia of Children's Literature, The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, Beacham's Research Guide to Biography and Criticism, The Oxford Illustrated History of English Literature, The Literary Encyclopedia, The Columbia Companion to the 20th Century American Short Story, and MagillOnLiterature Plus™.
- MedLine | (1966 - ) | Indexes journals in the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system and preclinical sciences.
- PsycArticles | (1988 - ) | Produced by the American Psychological Association (APA), PsycArticles is a definitive source of full-text, peer-reviewed scholarly and scientific articles in psychology. The database contains more than 140,000 articles from over 60 journals published by the APA.
- Regional Business News | Comprehensive index for regional business publications from all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States. Materials indexed include business journals, newspapers, and newswires.
- (The) Serials Directory | Provides up-to-date and accurate bibliographic information and pricing for over 178,500 U.S. and international periodicals.
Encyclopaedia Britannica Online
- Provides access to the complete encyclopedia, as well as Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and the Britannica Book of the Year. You can also use EB Online to search an Internet directory that includes thousands of related sites on the Internet.
Homeland Security Digital Library
- The HSDL is the nation's premier collection of homeland security policy and strategy related documents. It supports local, state and federal analysis and decision-making needs and assists academics of all disciplines in homeland defense and security related research. It provides quick access to important U.S. policy documents, presidential directives, and national strategy documents as well as specialized resources such as theses and reports from various universities, organizations, and local and state agencies. The resources are reviewed and selected by a team of homeland security researchers and organized in a unique homeland security taxonomy. HSDL content includes state-of-the-art multimedia offerings and other valuable assets identified by CHDS master's degree participants and instructors. Thiel College Langenheim Memorial Library is authorized to search the full collection (136,100 resources.)
- Essential Collection: Includes 700 core journals in 45 disciplines including History, Social Sciences, Education, Language, Literature, Business, Communications, Political Science, General Sciences, Mathematics, Religion, Arts & Humanities, and Law.
- Ecology & Botany I Collection: Includes 28 specialized journals in ecology, conservation, and biodiversity.
- Provides access to news, business, medical, educational and legal (including law reviews, case law and legal rulings) sources. The sources include international, national, and regional newspapers; magazines; trade journals; newsletters; wire service reports; and transcripts of television and radio news programs.
New York Times Digital Microfilm, via ProQuest Digital Microfilm | (2009 - 3 months ago)
- Provides full acess to the New York Times newspaper on microfilm. Searchable by date only.
OAIster | Primary sources
- A union catalog of 19 million+ digital resources from over 1,000 organizations developed by the University of Michigan and harvested using OAI-PMH (the Open Archives Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting). Digital resources in OAIster include items such as: Digitized (i.e., scanned) books and articles, Born-digital texts, Audio files (e.g., wav, mp3), Images (e.g., tiff, gif), Movies (e.g., mp4, quicktime), Datasets (e.g., downloadable statistics files).
Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
- The OED serves as the accepted authority of the evolution of the English language since 1150. The text contains definitions for most of the words in the English language, information on their origins, and quotations showing their range of meanings from the time they entered the language to the present.
- Comprises more than 23 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher websites.
Salem Press | Primary Sources
- The WorldCat database is the world's most comprehensive bibliography with bibliographic records representing information spanning 4,000 years. It is the OCLC Online Union Catalog of information contributed by OCLC member libraries worldwide. Includes books, videos, journals, microfiche, web sites, and much more.
WorldCatDissertations (Dissertation Abstracts)
(1861 - ) | Dissertation abstracts since 1980, theses since spring 1988
- Covers every doctoral dissertation completed in the U.S. at accredited institutions for the last 150 years. Includes some master's theses and foreign language dissertations.