JOB SEARCH CHECKLIST
The following is a checklist of items you should think about and complete before starting your job search. This checklist will help keep you organized in your job search and preparation; however, it is not guaranteed that you will find a job by following this checklist. These are just a few suggestions to help you along your way.
- Prepare a one page Cover Letter and Resume (customized to each position)
- Have a prepared reference page of about 3-5 references which include name, title, place of employment, address, email and phone.
- Have letters of recommendation from professors or supervisors (paid or unpaid positions).
- Prepare a portfolio – a purposeful collection of certificates, illustrations, special experiences, lesson plans, etc.
- Prepare a marketing list of about 10 employers for whom you would like to work and research each of the employers on your list.
- Prepare good questions to ask an employer during an interview.
- Learn how to present yourself over the telephone with proper phone etiquette.
- Prepare interview clothes and accessories by making sure the clothes are clean, ironed, and polished. If you are not sure what to wear, these tips for Men Dressing Business Casual and Women Dressing Business Casual should make decisions easier.
- Conduct mock interviews to practice answering or by performing informational interviews with people on your networking list. Interviewer questions
- Establish a networking list and provide a copy of your resume to all the people you meet. Be sure to maintain regular contact with the people you meet.
- Get organized by using a planner and/or a calendar to schedule your job search and interviews you may have scheduled.
- After the interview ask the interviewer for their business card(s) or write down the correct spelling of the interviewer’s name(s) and job title of each person you interviewed with at the company.
- A thank-you note cards should always be sent within two days after every interview.
Example of Thank You Note 1
Example of Thank You Note 2