The following criteria should be considered to make a lasting first impression:
- Wear reserved clothing. Popular trends and styles are not always appropriate. Clothing should not be low cut and the midriff should not be exposed.
- Conservative suites or dark sports coats should be worn by men.
- Conservative pant suites or dresses should be worn by women.
- More than three or four pieces of jewelry for women is inappropriate and each piece of jewelry, including the watch, should be conservative.
- Subtle and natural make-up recommended and often considered better than wearing no makeup at all.
- Earrings are discouraged for men unless allowed by the company. Observe other men in the office to determine whether earrings are appropriate.
- Clean neatly styled hair is recommended along with well groomed facial hair.
- Research the companies you are interested in. The internet is full of useful information and can be used to your advantage.
- Know ahead of time if this is a position that you are seriously interested in so your time and the time of interviewer is not wasted.
- Take advantage of the mock interviews provided each semester to properly prepare for a real interview you may have in the near future.
ON INTERVIEW DAY
- Be prompt and arrive in advance.
- Use appropriate manners, be polite, and act professional.
- Bring your date book for future planning and a notebook to write a few notes in.
- Bring a copy of your resume tailored to the company you are interviewing at and the position you are interviewing for.
- Send a typed thank you note after your interview to the person you met with. Make sure to get the proper spelling of their name.
- Do not miss a scheduled appointment because you may not be considered for future employment possibilities at this company.