Accepted International Students
Congratulations on your acceptance to Thiel College! We look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful campus. In the meantime, there are several important steps that will need to be completed prior to your arrival day.
- Submit your tuition deposit - for more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once your application has been accepted and you make your tuition deposit, the Form I-20 will be issued to you. Upon receipt of your Form I-20, please check that all of the information on the Form I-20 is correct and that the biographical information in item #1 matches your passport exactly. Contact our office immediately if any information is incorrect. If the information is accurate, sign your name immediately in item #11.
- Pay your I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee.
- Before using your Form I-20 to obtain your F-1 student visa and enter the United States, U.S. regulation requires you to pay the I-901 SEVIS fee. After paying, you must obtain a receipt of payment to carry with your Form I-20. Students with a “transfer pending” Form I-20 (see item #3 on the Form I-20) need not pay the I-901 SEVIS fee again. Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a visa, but must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee in advance, as it cannot be paid at the port of entry.
- Apply for your F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate and schedule an interview
- Since the process for applying for a student visa may vary between the U.S. embassies or consulates, you should review the instructions provided on the U.S. embassy or consulate website where you will be applying and interviewing for your F-1 student visa. For a listing of U.S. embassies and consulates, visit this website.
- Check visa processing times at the U.S. embassy or consulate you selected and schedule your travel arrangements to allow the longest possible period for the visa approval process. The F-1 student visa may not be issued more than 120 days before the start date of your Form I-20 (see item #5 on the Form I-20). Some students encounter a substantial delay in the visa issuance process, so apply as early as possible.
- Apply for Thiel College housing - you will receive an email from the Student Life office once your deposit has been received and processed.
- Complete and submit all necessary forms prior to arrival.
- Send in all final official transcripts/diplomas/certificates showing date of graduation/completion to the Office of Admission.
- Prepare for entering the United States as an F-1 student.
- New students may enter the U.S. to begin student status no earlier than 30 days prior to the Form I-20 start date
- To be admitted to F-1 student status, you must present your original Form I-20 and valid passport with the F-1 visa stamp inside. It is recommended that you also bring your I-901 SEVIS fee receipt, admission letter and financial documentation. Do not put any of these documents in your checked baggage. It is advisable to make at least two sets of copies of all your original documents - one for your family to keep and one for the school officials here at Thiel College.
- Download our packing checklist for helpful tips
- Visit U.S. gov. websites to prepare yourself with as much information as possible.