This is only a sample contract (do not print and send in) - Current contract may be subject to change.
Notebook Computing Program
My signature below indicates my agreement to the following terms and conditions which are required for my participation in the Thiel College Notebook Computing Program.
I shall use the equipment in accordance with the Thiel College policies on the appropriate use of computer resources. I DO NOT OWN THIS EQUIPMENT; I have a license to use it only under the conditions indicated herein. I AM REQUIRED TO RETURN THE EQUIPMENT TO THE COLLEGE AS DESCRIBED BELOW. I shall not permit any other person to possess or use this equipment. Commercial use of this equipment is prohibited.
1. A technology fee is assessed each semester to all enrolled students. The technology fee is established by the College and is subject to change annually. A portion of this fee supports the Notebook Computing Program. If I elect to not participate in the Notebook Computing Program I remain liable for the entire technology fee.
2. I understand that I do not own this equipment and that it remains the property of Thiel College. I must not personalize the equipment with stickers, graffiti or any other type of permanent markings as it may be issued to someone else in the future.
3. I understand that all repairs must be made through the Thiel College Notebook Support Center. If circumstances make it difficult to have the notebook repaired at Thiel College, I must have authorization from the Notebook Support Center to use another IBM certified repair center prior to affecting any repairs.
4. I understand that the Notebook Support Center will only support the standard hardware and software distributed by the College. If there is a hardware or software issue that requires the re-imaging of the notebook computer, the Notebook Support Center will only restore College-provided software. I am responsible for the restoration of my own software or data. The notebook computer is provided with backup and restore software, and each end user is encouraged to make timely backups of his or her personal files. Thiel College is not responsible for the loss of program files, data, or associated information.
5. I understand that if there is a hardware or software problem with my notebook computer that the technician is not able to resolve immediately, I will turn in my notebook and, if one is available, will be issued a comparable computer on loan. At the discretion of the Notebook Support Center this replacement may become my assigned notebook computer until the end of this license agreement.
6. I am responsible for loss, theft, or damage to the equipment. I understand that I will be charged a fee for the repair or replacement of any lost, stolen or damaged equipment up to $2,000 per incident. The College has sole discretion in the determination of damages and related costs. The College strongly recommends that all students secure insurance coverage for the value of the equipment.
7. I understand that any incidents of loss, theft or damage must be reported to the College as soon as possible, but no later than 48 hours after the incident. And, further, I understand that I am solely responsible for loss, theft, or damage to the equipment.
8. I agree to return the equipment to the College at a College-determined time and date in the same condition as at the beginning of this agreement, less reasonable wear and tear, and in accordance with current College policy. Notwithstanding any other conditions, I understand that I will not be issued another notebook computer until the equipment assigned in this agreement has been returned and accepted by the Notebook Support Center.
9. It is my responsibility to give written notice to the Registrar of any change in my status as a Thiel College student, as well as any address or phone number changes during the period of this license agreement or until all of the equipment is returned to the College. Changes in status may include, but are not limited to, withdrawal, leave of absence, transfer, or a reduction to part time status.
10. I understand that the equipment must be returned immediately if there is any change in my status as a student in good standing at the College. Changes in status may include, but are not limited to, academic suspension, disciplinary suspension, withdrawal, leave of absence, transfer, or a reduction to part time status.
11. I understand that I am only authorized to keep the equipment during the winter and summer breaks if I am registered as a full time student for the following semester and provided that the notebook computer will be staying within the boundaries of the United States. If I fail to pre-register, I understand that I must return my notebook computer within 24 hours of my last final exam for that semester. I understand that I will not be issued a replacement notebook until I am once again registered as a full time student.
12. If I fail to return the equipment by the due date, I understand that I may be subject to criminal prosecution and/or civil liability; that I will be assessed the full replacement cost of the equipment; and that I will not be permitted to register. The college may also withhold grades, transcripts, or diplomas; assess a late fee of $5 per day up to the cost of new equipment ($2,000); immediately locate and repossess the equipment; and/or recover attorney’s fees and court costs. I am responsible for all expenses incurred, within the law, to recover the equipment or its value. This contract shall in all aspects be governed by the law of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
13. I understand that I may be required to check-in my notebook computer periodically throughout the academic year, and that I will be notified of the check-in details via College email. I understand that I will also receive other official communications from the College via electronic mail (e-mail) and that it is my continuing responsibility to keep current with this email.
14. Thiel College reserves the right to make changes to these terms and conditions upon notice. I understand this notice may be given via electronic mail (e-mail) to my College-provided e-mail address.
15. Thiel College reserves the right to recall the equipment prior to the anticipated return date.
16. Thiel College hereby disclaims all express and implied warranties, including, without limitation, the implied warranties relating to the equipment merchantability and fitness for a particular use. I agree to accept the equipment “as is.” In no event shall the College be liable for any incidental, special, indirect, or consequential damage of whatever nature arising out of any claim alleging the College’s failure to perform its obligations under this agreement or its alleged breach of any duty.