"Thiel prepared me by providing a detailed semester curriculum and a roadmap of the needed courses that applied to all physician assistant programs in the eastern half of the United States. The professors at Thiel want to ensure the success of each of their students!"
– Alex McClurg ’12, B.S. Biology, Pre-Physician Assistant Program (Canfield, Ohio)
- Cytotechnology* (Dr. Arthur White, email@example.com)
- Medical Technology* (Dr. Sarah J. Swerdlow, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pre-Chiropractic (Dr. Jared Johnson, email@example.com)
- Pre-Dental (Dr. Kathy Frantz, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pre-Medicine (Dr. Sarah J. Swerdlow, email@example.com, Dr. Chris Stanisky, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Dr. Erwin Montgomery Jr., email@example.com)
- Pre-Occupational Therapy (Dr. Jenni Griffin, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pre-Optometry (Dr. Greg Butcher, email@example.com)
- Pre-Pharmacy (Dr. Kathy Frantz, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pre-Physical Therapy (Dr. Greg Butcher, email@example.com)
- Pre-Physician Assistant (Dr. Sarah J. Swerdlow, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pre-Podiatry (Dr. Jared Johnson, email@example.com)
- Pre-Veterinary (Dr. Sarah J. Swerdlow, firstname.lastname@example.org)
*Bachelor degrees awarded at Thiel College.
Preparing for Pre-Health Programs
- The pre-health programs require superior science preparation in high school. Enroll in a college preparatory curriculum (or equivalent) that includes mathematics through pre-calculus or calculus and sciences that include biology, chemistry and physics. Maintaining A's and B's in these courses is a must.
- Available AP courses or other advanced courses give you a “preview” of the rigor and depth of college courses. Please be aware some limitations apply. High scores on AP exams (or equiv.) may count for credit or exemption from certain pre-requisite courses at Thiel. Learn more about the Thiel College AP Exam policy.
- Job-shadowing in your particular area of interest increases experience through high school.
Preparing for Professional Schools
- Internships and shadowing experiences throughout the school year and in the summer should be capitalized on as quickly as possible
- Become an assistant or volunteer in your department – professors will get to know you better and have more to say in their letters of recommendation
- Fall semester: students should be applying to internships for the summer
- Qualified Biology student can apply for Tri-Beta, the Biology National Honors Society
- Prepare to take the MCAT in the spring semester and apply for internships for the summer
- Over the summer, ask for letters of recommendation that will be necessary for applications to professional schools
- To ask for a letter of recommendation, make sure that you have a personal statement, updated resume, and letter due date
- Completing applications can be a long and expensive process; begin as early as possible
- Fall Semester: Apply to schools and follow up on the letters of recommendation.
- Spring semester: You should be undergoing the second part of the application process by interviewing at prospective schools
Graduate Schools and Outcomes
- Allopathic Medical School: University of Pittsburgh, Penn State - Hershey Medical School, West Virginia University School of Medicine
- Osteopathic Medical School: Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ohio College of Osteopathic Medicine, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines University School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Veterinary Schools: Ohio State University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Missouri
- Dental Schools: West Virginia University, University of Pittsburgh, Case Western Reserve
- Podiatry Schools: Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine
- Physical Assistant School: Chatham University
- Optometry School: Ohio State University College of Optometry, Pennsylvania College of Optometry
- Physical Therapy Schools: Gannon University, Youngstown State University, Slippery Rock University, Chatham University
- Chiropractic Schools: NY Chiropractic College, Palmer Chiropractic College
- Cytotechnology: Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC
- Medical Technology: St. Vincent Health System, WCA Hospital